Keeping your home safe and sound is important at any time of the year. In summer, though, it’s doubly important, as the temptation to leave windows open and doors ajar increases as temperatures rise.
The Safer Croydon Partnership has pulled together some pointers that will help keep you and your home safe during the summer.
Follow these tips to make life harder for opportunistic thieves.
- Lawnmowers and garden equipment are often stolen over the summer months, so ensure they are locked away, and that your shed has a strong padlock to deter break-ins.
- Register your mobile phones and bikes with the UK property register, so that, if recovered, they can be returned to you – immobilise.com/.
- Upload a tracking app, then, if your phone is stolen, it can be tracked via GPS – FindmyiPhone (Apple), or Find My Device (Android).
- Don’t leave bikes outside unless they are secured.
- Don’t leave laptops and mobile phones in view, either in your house or car.
- Make sure your car is locked, with windows closed, and don’t leave valuables on show.
- Ensure doors and windows are locked and secured when leaving the house.
- Stay alert when out and about – thieves are increasingly using mopeds to enable quick grabs of handbags and mobile phones.
- If you do have property stolen, please report it. It’s also worth checking local secondhand markets, pawnbrokers and online retailers. If you do see your goods, call the police on 101.
Councillor Hamida Ali, cabinet member for safer Croydon and communities
“Taking simple measures can deter opportunist thieves, so please take the time to ensure your home is secure, whether you’re going out for a short time, or away on holiday.”
For more tips and information, go to www.police.uk/crime-prevention-advice/burglary/